Friday, September 5, 2008

Possibilites Are Endless

At the conclusion of the my first week in Greece, I must say I am overwhelmed. There is so much to do and see and plan to see. I do not really think I will be able to wrap my mind around the fact that everyday I go to class I can see the Acropolis in the distance or the fact that my school's cafeteria sits right next to the old Olympic stadium.

Last night my roommates and I went to the open air theater that sits right at the base of the Acropolis to see a flamingo dance show (aka poofy dresses). It was breathtaking. With the stars of the night as our sky and the Acropolis 100 ft away from us all lit up, I could not ask for anything better. Tonight we will be going to Likavitos theater, which sits at the top of a hill that overlooks all of Athens. Stomp is performing there!

Before the show last night my roommates Liz and Fabi headed out to explore the area of Plaka, just west of our town (Pangrati). Fabi bought hand made sandals from the most well known shoe maker in Athens. We explored the market and ate dinner at this tiny little cafe that sits on the cobblestone road at the base of the Acropolis. It is interesting to see the many difference in culture that are prevelant throughout Athens. On one hand you have the very old small cobblestone roads with traditional Greek food. But just down the road at this market there are stores filled with so much of America's culture. There was a whole store devoted to every day hip-hop clothing, a restaurant with a menu completely in English, and better yet we passed an Applebees on our way to the shoe maker.

I met my first Athenian yesterday. I went to run around the track at the top of the Olympic stadium because my body was in need of working out. Anyway, I met a guy named Nick (my father is convinced that everyone in the country is named Nick thanks to the movie, my big fat greek wedding). so only typical that the first Greek I meet is named Nick. Anyway, we talked about Obama and how he hopes for the everyone else in the world that he becomes our next President. That is probably the 4th or 5th time that I have heard from people who live in Greece that if "you're not voting for Obama you shouldnt be allowed to vote."

Other updates are my roommates and I are planning a weekend in Santorini next weekend. We were told it is "THE" island to see and that this time of year would be great for it. I am sure I am leaving out critical other details but these are the big things that have happened in the last two days.


http://community.webshots.com/user/kdey387
pics have been updated..

No comments: